1. A definition: fasting requires abstaining from food and drink for any given period of time. (drinking water is okay)
A. Fasting can be done in meal or day increments i.e. I am going to fast for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner or I am going to fast for the next two days.
2. Fasting is a biblical command from Jesus. (Matthew 6:16-18)
A. To be done in secret for a reward from God. (Matthew 6:16-18)
3. Prayer is usually accompanied with fasting
A. Fasting adds power to whatever is being prayed for as it demands dependence upon God for sustenance and strength.
4. Fasting can be hard to started, but once you get down to doing it, it becomes a faithful act of grace from God.
5. It is not required to be a Christian or for eternal salvation. (Ephesians 2:8-9)